Skip to main content

5 Tips for Great Hair on the Cheap

How I Save Money on Haircare Products

As one who appears on television interviews and presents classes and workshops for my business, it is critically important to attend to my appearance with care.  Dark roots, split ends, flyaway, or just plain messy hair could distract from my message.   It could adversely affect my bottom line as well.  

Unfortunately, haircare products can be pricy, especially an issue for a small business owner.  Consequently, I have found a way to save on hair care products significantly.  Follow along as I share what I've found.

Not too dark, not too light, my hair color is perfect because I use coupons.

As one who is near her seventh decade, gray is popping up all over.  Therefore, to even out my hair color, I am now married to the box—box of hair color, that is.  My relationship with the box saves me at least $60 my stylist would charge for once-a-month treatment. 

Even though coloring my hair at home is much cheaper than salon treatments, I'd rather buy it on the cheap.  For example, I found two $3 coupons for my brand of hair dye in the paper. A nearby drug store offered a bogo deal with a $4 coupon for future purchases.  Instead of spending $24 for two boxes, mine cost $9, plus I have $4 to spend for other necessities. 

Using coupons in stores with loyalty programs and incentives boost the savings even more. 

Note: Find coupons online as well.

Join loyalty programs

Speaking of loyalty programs...I receive digital discount coupons, special pricing, and even gift certificates just by shopping.  These are stores I shop in any way.  So, joining their loyalty program is a no-brainer.  When I shop their sales, my savings multiply. 

Discount beauty stores offer beautiful savings!

One of my favorite discount beauty products stores is Sally.  Luckily, there is one near me, but shopping the website is equally easy on the wallet, especially during a pandemic.  Here I can purchase all my hair products and styling tools at a steep discount.  Additionally, their selection of generic products is excellent.  For example, I replaced my pricy name brand Tea Tree Oil shampoo with a generic for a $19 savings. 

Sally also offers a loyalty program, which increases my savings. 

Use products sparingly

Unless you are an athlete or someone whose hair is exposed to dirt or sweat, daily washing really isn't necessary.  In fact, many excellent sources agree that daily washing can strip the hair of natural oils and could irritate flaky scalps.  I've found that shampooing my long hair twice a week is best for me.  It isn't as dry and looks great. 

Additionally, there's no reason to "rinse and repeat" as some advertising might dictate.  One shampoo application is ample.

Don't get caught up in the hype!

There are products we should use to keep our hair healthy, especially for those of us who chemically treat our hair.  Nevertheless, some products are more hype than help.  For example, in between shampoos, my hair can get a bit flat.  Lifting products formulated to lift flat hair can cost a pretty penny, but I can achieve the same results by spraying a bit of water on my roots.   

Having a great hair day shouldn’t cost a fortune!

Keep Reading

Health Tips for Women: Why You May Need More Sleep

Why the Mediterranean Diet is Best for Long-Term Weight Loss  

Exercises Every Woman Over 60 Should Include in Her Daily Routine



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Grill Herbal-Rubbed Chicken Breast Perfectly

Look out baby, Memorial Day is nearing so barbecue season has officially begun        I bet this sounds familiar.    You are standing in the middle of your backyard drooling on the bucket of just pulled weeds because an enticing aroma of yummy barbecue wafts through the air.    Sadly, it is not coming from your grill.    The bad and good news of this tasty temptation is that I'm that neighbor torturing you with mouthwatering BBQ aromas, but I'm letting you in on some of my secrets!   Good BBQ begins in the kitchen Although not a food snob, I am particular.  I believe that the best 'cue begins in the kitchen.   Fresh food is a must, and it has to be cooked just right.  Moreover, whatever goes on the grill must be bursting with flavor.  Luckily, I have a prolific herb garden.  This won't rub you the wrong way Since I tend to lean toward Mediterranean dishes, specifically Italian food , I use homegrown lemons – also from my garden – and an herbal rub for my meat. 

Food Review: Trader Joe’s Animal Crackers

Tub of Fun Found in Trader Joe's Animal Crackers If you are like me, every time I see a box of animal crackers, I relive my childhood years of drooling over a box decorated as if it is a red circus boxcar filled with exotic animals.    My favorite cookie/cracker was the elephant.   Therefore, when I noticed a tub --yes an entire tub-- of animal cookies on a Trader Joe’s shelf, I squealed like a little girl and promptly tossed one in my cart. As a fan of simple English style cookies, Trader Joe’s Organic Animal Crackers are a perfect fit for me.  They are crunchy, light, great with hot beverages, and shaped like animals.  What could be better?  Right?  The real surprise with these cookies is that these are not your typical guilty-pleasure snacks.  Oh no.  These puppies —or should I say camels -- are low in fat and sodium, vegan, organic and only 120 for 17 delicious cookies!  There are even tigers in the tub.  It just gets more and more exciting as I eat my way through

Using Teachable Moments When Planning & Hosting Parties

Dear Rebecca, What do children and teens learn from their parent’s throwing parties ? Parent Dear Parent, Children of all ages learn everything from their parents.   They learn all their manners , which is basically how we treat others and ourselves.   They also learn etiquette, which is the protocol, how we behave, or how we are expected to behave in public.   So, if a child’s parents throw raucous parties with alcohol and loud music, the child will believe that this is what is expected at parties.   If the parents cater to their guests, treating them as special, the child will learn that he/she should treat their guests as special.   Parents are their child’s best teachers to teach him/her about life and being a good person. Pro-Tip Involve your child in the planning and preparation of the party.  Teach him/her how to focus on guests' needs. Most sincerely, Rebecca More by Rebecca Q & A: The Best and Worst Parties I’ve Hosted or Attended String Pasta Wit