Skip to main content

Wine and Food Pairing

 Wine and food pairing

Curious Visitor Asks About Wine & Food Pairing 

As an etiquette professional for well over twenty years, I have been asked thousands of questions.  Obviously, the majority are etiquette-related, with many about relationships. However, as we see here, some concern entertaining, which makes it perfect for posting here. 

Dear Rebecca, 

Please tell me what kind of dishes are best for serving with red wine? 

Best regards, 

Visitor from Sofia, Bulgaria 

Dear Visitor from Sofia, Bulgaria, 

There are many styles of wine, so this question is a bit difficult.  First, the darker the wine, typically the fuller the body.  The body style is the texture and weight of the wine, think skim milk, to heavy cream. Some lighter reds (Chianti or Beaujolais) have more acid which would pair with more food—heavier wines (Cabernet) usually don't unless they are fruit-forward.   

Look for some fruit or pepper flavor in the wines, such as a Pino Noir or a Cabernet Franc, because both match easily with many dishes.  I just had a lighter style Syrah, remarkably like a Rhone-style that also sported a blackberry flavor.  It went very well with a lightly seasoned prime rib, asparagus, and roasted potatoes. However, an Australian or Rhone-style Syrah would go with just about anything except dishes with acidic tomato sauce.  Sautéed chicken, with dry tomatoes, (a few) capers, and cream would be perfect.  

Be careful with wines comprised of heavy oak flavor because it is difficult to pair; it would be like pairing two dishes with heavy seasonings. Depending on the wine, heavy oak tastes like butter, vanilla, and/or butterscotch. 

Start with something you already know.  Trust yourself.  If you think that the wine would be good in a sauce to cover your dish, generally it would taste good alongside it.  I like to add a generous amount of wine into stews and marinara and I drink the same wine with the dish—usually a Cabernet with many stews and Chianti or Sangiovese with Italian.  Be brave.  I recently had grilled tuna cut into small pieces, topped with sautéed onions, and placed on top of a grilled Portobello mushroom, paired with a nice Sangiovese.  The fruit in the wine made it a match made in heaven.  

Mushrooms have an earthy flavor that can help you pair heavier wines to a dish.

Mirror flavors and weight.  Match heavy to heavy, light to light, like a heavy Cabernet with a roast or stew, or a broiled salmon fillet with a nice Pino Noir. Or you could contrast.  Choose a Gamay Beaujolais to serve with a fried fish, if the spices don't conflict. Speaking of spices, consider them.  Also, sauces matter, you can bridge the wine and the food through a sauce made with the wine.   

Bottom line, a Pino Noir, Gamay, Beaujolais (it is made with the Gamay grape), or a Sangiovese, in my opinion, will be your most versatile red wine.  Perhaps use the wine in cooking the dish or choose seasonings that help pair the two.  Rosemary tastes like pine and sometimes helps bridge wine with food.  Of course, salt helps bring all of it together. 

Most of the wines I mentioned are from America because that is what I am most used to.  I am not a wine expert.  I just teach Wine Etiquette—everything about sharing wine.  I have been teaching my students how to learn more about pairing, which is what I have shared with you.  I sincerely hope this helps you.

Sincerely,   

Rebecca

Keep Reading

Why the Mediterranean Diet is Best for Long-Term Weight Loss  

How to Grill Herbal-Rubbed Chicken Breast Perfectly

Trader Joe’s Frozen Chocolate Croissant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Grill Herbal-Rubbed Chicken Breast Perfectly

Look out baby, Memorial Day is nearing so barbecue season has officially begun        I bet this sounds familiar.    You are standing in the middle of your backyard drooling on the bucket of just pulled weeds because an enticing aroma of yummy barbecue wafts through the air.    Sadly, it is not coming from your grill.    The bad and good news of this tasty temptation is that I'm that neighbor torturing you with mouthwatering BBQ aromas, but I'm letting you in on some of my secrets!   Good BBQ begins in the kitchen Although not a food snob, I am particular.  I believe that the best 'cue begins in the kitchen.   Fresh food is a must, and it has to be cooked just right.  Moreover, whatever goes on the grill must be bursting with flavor.  Luckily, I have a prolific herb garden.  This won't rub you the wrong way Since I tend to lean toward Mediterranean dishes, specifically Italian food , I use homegrown lemons – also from my garden – and an herbal rub for my meat. 

Food Review: Trader Joe’s Animal Crackers

Tub of Fun Found in Trader Joe's Animal Crackers If you are like me, every time I see a box of animal crackers, I relive my childhood years of drooling over a box decorated as if it is a red circus boxcar filled with exotic animals.    My favorite cookie/cracker was the elephant.   Therefore, when I noticed a tub --yes an entire tub-- of animal cookies on a Trader Joe’s shelf, I squealed like a little girl and promptly tossed one in my cart. As a fan of simple English style cookies, Trader Joe’s Organic Animal Crackers are a perfect fit for me.  They are crunchy, light, great with hot beverages, and shaped like animals.  What could be better?  Right?  The real surprise with these cookies is that these are not your typical guilty-pleasure snacks.  Oh no.  These puppies —or should I say camels -- are low in fat and sodium, vegan, organic and only 120 for 17 delicious cookies!  There are even tigers in the tub.  It just gets more and more exciting as I eat my way through

Using Teachable Moments When Planning & Hosting Parties

Dear Rebecca, What do children and teens learn from their parent’s throwing parties ? Parent Dear Parent, Children of all ages learn everything from their parents.   They learn all their manners , which is basically how we treat others and ourselves.   They also learn etiquette, which is the protocol, how we behave, or how we are expected to behave in public.   So, if a child’s parents throw raucous parties with alcohol and loud music, the child will believe that this is what is expected at parties.   If the parents cater to their guests, treating them as special, the child will learn that he/she should treat their guests as special.   Parents are their child’s best teachers to teach him/her about life and being a good person. Pro-Tip Involve your child in the planning and preparation of the party.  Teach him/her how to focus on guests' needs. Most sincerely, Rebecca More by Rebecca Q & A: The Best and Worst Parties I’ve Hosted or Attended String Pasta Wit